Living The Sweet Life: Mom's (Magic) Pancakes

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Mom's (Magic) Pancakes

I love pancakes.  I especially loved when my Mom would make breakfast for dinner when I was little.  I think it was America's Test Kitchen that reviewed pancake mixes and found that Bisquick of all things was chosen as the best pancake mix.  The best recipe I've ever used is the one from a booklet from my Mom called Basic (Magic) Pancakes.  I'm not sure why I have this book, if she gave it to me or if it's supposed to be returned but I love this recipe and can't imagine giving this little booklet away.  The lady that wrote it was a food writer for The Vancouver Sun, her name was Edith Adams and she made a collection of these booklets from all the recipes that were featured in the newspaper.

So first things first, here's the recipe

Method:

In a larger bowl sift together the dry ingredients:

1 3/4 cups of sifted All Purpose Flour
1 Tbsp. of Baking Powder
2 Tbsp. Sugar
1/2 Tsp. Salt

In a smaller bowl mix together the wet ingredients:

2 well beaten Eggs
1 1/2 cups of Milk
1/4 cup of melted Butter

Gradually stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.  Even though the recipe says, "beat until smooth" I don't because I saw a pancake cook off and they said to never do that, a few lumps are ok.


So preheat your pan on medium heat.  This pan I'm using is only used for Pancakes and is well seasoned (20 years), except for the one time someone fried onions in it and didn't know it was only for pancakes.  Anyways, I lightly grease  the bottom of the pan with Grape-seed oil, each time a new batch goes in.  Using the 1/4 cup measuring cup, pour out four pancakes.

Optional:  You can of course add fresh or frozen "blues", that's what we call Blueberries.  Delicious!


Cook until bubbles appear on the top of the pancake, flip and cook on the other side.  You should serve them right away but if you want to keep them warm in the oven put them on the rack, not a plate.  Pop them onto a plate at the last minute when your ready to serve them.


At our house the last bit of batter is always turned into a Mickey Mouse Pancake.


Another variation we like is how they spruce them up in Hawaii at our favourite little breakfast place, the Kihei Cafe in Maui.  You  dust icing sugar over the top of your pile, add some banana slices, and some macadamia nuts (chopped).  Pour on the pancake syrup and that's what you call Banana Nut Pancakes. 

3 comments:

  1. Breakfast for dinner is always fun! I'll try your recipe the next time we 'pancake'. They will be awesome with some Trader Joe's Turkey Bacon! I found http://www.bakerella.com/mini-maple-pancake-muffins/ on Bakerella. These look like a lot of fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter loves pancakes,and I showed her these picture and she has agreed to eat pancakes with blueberries,instead of chocolate chips for a change:) I will be making her these for dinner tonite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs K
    Thanks, I think she'll love them. I just started to follow your blog - I love Indian food and cooking - very nice job.

    Thank you Debra

    ReplyDelete