Living The Sweet Life: Sew Your Panties And Hem Your Gym Pants

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sew Your Panties And Hem Your Gym Pants

I joke in class about how I don't have anything in common with people that don't sew.  I do consider sewing a casing for curtains, being able to sew - because that shows there's some interest and that you even went as far as to thread the machine.  So if that's all you've done your my friend.  I do feel sorry for the girls at the gym though who have their gym pants too long and rolled up because they don't know how to hem them.  I'd cut them off with pinking shears before I'd roll them up - and no that is not an option.  So see even being able to sew a straight line means you can sew - it's a start.  You use a stretch twin needle by the way for all you gals running around with long gym pants.  Help with the pants is coming below.

Ok, so I saw these lovely vintage style panties - don't you think they're cute?  They're only (are you sitting down)  $260.00 at Lillie Boutique online (they do have beautiful things).  I think they mentioned something about the crotch in these being lined with gold.  Aren't you glad you can sew?  Panties might not be at the top of your sewing list, but if you wanted to - you know you could. I love, love, LOVE sewing!

I'm just kidding with you girls about your sad looking gym pants .  But really if you haven't hemmed them up yet give it a try it's really fast and easy.  I make my long gym pants into the Capri length all the time.  I've typed up some quick instructions for you on How to  Hem Gym Pants..  Just click the "read more" link below this sentence at the left.

1.  Fold the pants up to the inside to the length you want them.  You can fold up 2" or 12" it doesn't matter.  Just fold them to the length you want them.  Put a pin in the hem at the side seams and center front and back just to hold it in place.


2.  Set your machine up with a stretch twin needle and you're regular everyday presser foot (not a pintuck foot).  I use the 4.0/75 needle.  Match the thread to your fabric in colour and content.  (If you've never used a twin needle before dig out the instruction book to your machine or you can check out my book called Modern Machine Techniques - it has lots of twin needle techniques among other things.)

3.  Test your stitch on some of the hem that will be cut off.  You will be sewing with a straight stitch on a  stitch length of about 3.0 because it's stretch fabric.  When you like the look of the stitch you're ready to sew.

4.  On the right side, starting at the inside seam, about 1" up from the bottom fold stitch around the bottom.  I pull the fabric just a little as I'm sewing. When you meet up to where you started, back stitch and clip your threads.



5.  Once you've done both legs turn the pants inside out.  Carefully, and I mean carefully trim away the excess fabric above the stitching line.  I'm using blunt tipped Gingher Pocket scissors - the best for this job because the tips don't get caught on the fabric.



Fabrics won't fray along the cut edge because when using
the twin needle the underside is a zig-zag stitch.



I found these pictures in some teaching stuff.  The pink sample fabric is not gym pants, but I think you can get the idea.  I always us black thread on my teaching samples so you can see what's going on.

2 comments:

  1. Rights sides together and turn the bugger through! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, no dilly dallying, just get'er done!

    ReplyDelete