Living The Sweet Life: My New Cowgirl Chili

Saturday, January 23, 2010

My New Cowgirl Chili

The other day my Dad told my Mom this was the best chili she has ever made. This was a huge compliament coming from him - they are few and far between. He seemed really surprised that the best bowl of chili was sitting right there in front of him. I have my own chili recipe that I make for my boys, they love it over rice with cheese and onions on top just like they do in Hawaii. Anyways I decided to try Mom's great new receipe. It seemed simple enough with nothing too out of the ordinary (except the coco).  So instead of using my world famous "Chilli -O Mix" from IGA, I was going to add the spices myself. Spencer came in the kitchen took off the lid when it was simmering and said, "This looks like real chili."  I said, "What does that mean?" He said, "You know, like cowboy chili."  I looked again and thought wow, he's right. Mine looks more like a pot of meat and beans - this had alot of nice thick sauce with beans poking out here and there. So, as it turns out Dad was right on the mark - and this really is the best chili ever, it's so, so good. It made me feel like I wanted to cook for a bunch of cowboys out on the range, circle the chuck wagons and eat off tin plates.

My New Cowgirl Chili

1 1/2 lbs of lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp. unsweetened Coco (I know it seems wierd)
1 tbsp. all purpose flour
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp ground corriander
1 tsp cummin
1 pinch of hot pepper flakes
2 - 28 ounce cans of crushed tomatoes
2 green peppers, chopped
2 stocks of celery chopped
2 - 14 oz cans of kidney beans (undrained)

1.) Brown the meat, onion and garlic. Drain off the fat.
2.) Mix the spices and add to meat.
3.) Add the canned tomatoes, green pepper, celery and simmer 45 minutes.
4.) Add beans and simmer another 10 minutes.

* Taste the chili as it simmers, if you want it hotter add more spices to taste - be sure to keep a note of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment