Living The Sweet Life: Indian Butter Chicken

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Indian Butter Chicken

I love Indian food.  As a special birthday present I made a whole Indian dinner from scratch.   It took me two days to find just the right recipes and to shop for the ingredients, but it was fun.  The starter was Prawn Pekoras and Raita  Cucumber Dip.  The dinner was Butter Chicken, Basmati Rice, Aloo Gobi (cauliflower and potatoes) and Naan Bread.  The links are for the actual recipes I used  - you'll see they're all five star recipes.

This is the Butter Chicken recipe I used - I love, love, LOVE it!  It's adapted from an Indian cook book I "borrowed" from my Mom.  She ended up giving me the cook book because I kept if for so long  she had to find another one on Ebay. Sometimes daughters do that with things they really like - thanks Mom.  I find it interesting that "Butter Chicken" doesn't really have that much butter in it and the one cup of whipping cream is not that bad when you consider it's for the whole dish.  All in all another healthy chicken recipe.

Maakhan Murg (Butter Chicken)

4 chicken breasts, skinned
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 tbsp. butter
2 tsp. garlic, crushed
1 tsp. ginger, grated
1 tsp. green chili peppers, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tbsp. curry powder
1 cup tomato sauce
1 tsp. salt, or to taste
1 cup of whipping cream, or half & half
1 tbsp. fresh coriander

What to do:

1. Cut the chicken into bit size pieces.
2.  In saucepan fry onions in butter until golden brown.
3.  Add garlic, ginger, chili peppers, paprika and curry powder, fry for a few seconds.
4.  Add tomato sauce, salt and chicken and slowly bring to a boil.
5.  Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is nearly done, about 15 - 20 minutes.
6.  Add whipping cream, stir and simmer until chicken is tender.
7.  Garnish with coriander

I usually do steps 1-3 on the stove, then finish up in the slow cooker on low.  The house smells heavenly with the Indian spices.  If you want it to be at it's very best, cook it a day ahead and let the flavors blend overnight.  I really enjoyed getting my new Indian spices - you'll find when you get into it, you use the same ones over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment