Maakhan Murg (Butter Chicken)
4 chicken breasts, skinned
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 tbsp. butter
2 tsp. garlic, crushed
1 tsp. ginger, grated
1 tsp. green chili peppers, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tbsp. curry powder
1 cup tomato sauce
1 tsp. salt, or to taste
1 cup of whipping cream, or half & half
1 tbsp. fresh coriander
What to do:
1. Cut the chicken into bit size pieces.
2. In saucepan fry onions in butter until golden brown.
3. Add garlic, ginger, chili peppers, paprika and curry powder, fry for a few seconds.
4. Add tomato sauce, salt and chicken and slowly bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is nearly done, about 15 - 20 minutes.
6. Add whipping cream, stir and simmer until chicken is tender.
7. Garnish with coriander
I usually do steps 1-3 on the stove, then finish up in the slow cooker on low. The house smells heavenly with the Indian spices. If you want it to be at it's very best, cook it a day ahead and let the flavors blend overnight. I really enjoyed getting my new Indian spices - you'll find when you get into it, you use the same ones over and over again.