Living The Sweet Life: The Best Hawaiian Fabric

Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Best Hawaiian Fabric

This time last year, I had just gotten back from Hawaii. It's getting cold here and I'm reminiscing, wishing I was there. As much as I love to soak up the sun and enjoy the water, there were fabric shops on the island. I was on the hunt for some fabric to make the Amy Butler halter top to wear with my cargo pants. I love the pattern even though it called for way too much fabric, and you have make a muslin to take it in under the arms and also to curve the now straight ties, so your bust doesn't fall out - trust me if I had that problem, most ladies will have more of a problem.

The fabric store I visited Hawaiian Fabrics was wonderful. They had great vintage style cotton prints for only $5.95 yd. and poly/cottons for $4.95 yd. You could get understated wonderful prints that had that tropical feel that you really could wear here on the mainland in the summer. As soon as I walked in and saw all the bolts I got that really excited, overwhelmed feeling that you get in a really good fabric shop. They had prints for adults and kids, Oriental prints and even traditional coconut and shell buttons. This is the part where I ask what time they close. The selection was awesome and you could find all sorts of prints to love, in fact too many prints to love. Now I'm thinking about the baggage allowance on the airline or how much I could carry on in a big tote bag.

I have great news! They have a web site and the fabric is the same price there as it is in the store so you can buy right off of their web site. They have great photo's and they also do custom sewing for next to nothing. If you're visiting Hawaii you have to check it out, I know you'll love it! This is what I bought.


Old Time Hawaii, nice guys shirt.



For the halter to go with my Army Green cargo's.



This is for a ladies, simple, sleeveless, zip up the back dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment