Living The Sweet Life: Spencer's Meatloaf Pepper Rings

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Spencer's Meatloaf Pepper Rings

This summer Spencer (my son, 14 yrs) has been going to the gym with me.  I like to watch CNN on the TV that is hooked to the treadmill to distract me from what I'm really doing there.  Once I get CNN set up on close caption, I plug in my ipod and try to run for half an hour.  Spencer  right next to me, prefers to walk and watch the Food Network.  It's distracting seeing all that cooking going on out the corner of my eye.  One morning he saw this recipe and was telling me all about it on the drive home.  It didn't sound too complicated and he seemed excited to try it so we decided to made it that night for dinner with our favourite meatloaf recipe and winged the rest by his description.  We made it as healthy as we could so there is no cheese or ketchup in the meatloaf like original recipe called for.

Ingredients:

4 Peppers (try to pick out tall ones)

Combine the following 8 ingredients in a bowl to make the meatloaf
1 1/2 pounds Lean Ground Beef
1 Egg beaten
3/4 cup Milk
3/4 cup Rolled Oats
1 Onion, chopped
2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper

Parsley for garnish
Top with 1 - 14 oz Hunt's Chunky Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic and Oregano

Method:

Chop the ends off of the peppers, pull out the seeds and cut what's left into three rings.
Place the rings into a baking dish and stuff each one with the meatloaf mixture.
I must say it's looking very "Julia Child"!
Chop up the parsley and sprinkle over the meatloaf rings to garnish.
With a spoon, scoop tomatoes and sauce from the can and
 make a little pile on top of each ring.
If you have any left over dump it in the bottom of the pan.
Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes.
We love how the tomatoes bake and taste like they're sundried.

No comments:

Post a Comment