Living The Sweet Life: Fisher Scones Recipe

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Fisher Scones Recipe

The Fair Scones (Fisher Scones)

Over the years I have given friends and family packages of the Fisher Scone Mix from the grocery store in Sumas, Washington.  These scones are sold from a big white truck at the Puyallup Fair in Washington State.  That's when I first tried them and loved them.  I have on occasion talked the man in that truck into selling me a large bulk 25 pound bag of the mix - I haven't told too many people that so it will come as a bit of a surprise.  But I have an even better secret to tell my friends....

This recipe was in the 1930's Fisher Cookbook. The original recipe called for raisins, but they no longer make them that way at the fair. You can buy the mix to make at home by just adding water,  but if you want to do them from scratch, this is the recipe. To serve like they do at the fair, when still warm, cut open but do not cut all the way through. Fill with a slab of butter and spoon full of raspberry jam.  These are also the base for the strawberry short cake that also sold at the big white truck!

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons shortening
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup raisins (if no raisins, add another 2 Tbsp. of milk)

Method:

1. Sift the flour and then measure the 2 1/2 cups.

2. Re-sift with the other dry ingredients.

3. Work the shortening into dry ingredients with your fingers.

4. Add raisins to the flour-fat mixture if desired and mix thoroughly.

5. Add milk to mixture. (no raisins, add another 2 Tbsp of milk)

6. Turn out on to a floured board and divide into two equal pieces.

7. Pat each into a round that is a little higher in the center and tapers out to the thickness of about 3/4"

8. Cut each round into four to create 8 wedge shaped pieces. Bake about 15 minutes at 450 degrees on an ungreased baking sheet.  

This receipe makes 8 scones at about 280 calories a piece.

** Hide, oh I mean store these little gems in an air tight container. Just reheat in the microwave and enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Tanya - I hope you are taking notes... These are the BEST! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rather than make a big meal, I'm serving tea on Christmas Day. I have no idea if these will be like the scones at the Puyallup/other area street fairs or not, but they sound great. Thanks for an alternative to a box of Fisher scone mix from our neighborhood drugstore. Now, if only I knew where (in the Seattle area) I could find the actual "sweet ginger paste" for the Carrot-Ginger tea sandwich recipe from the Empress! I mash ginger into a paste and sweeten it, but dang it, I wish I could find the actual ingredient.

    Thanks for the scone recipe, Debra!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOoooo I've had those sandwiches - they are heavenly - do keep me posted if you figure them out! Enjoy your scones - you'll love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious! Next best thing to getting them at the Puyallup Fair! At home, I love to use them when I make strawberry shortcake. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just linked to this blog posting. Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your site. I have the original recipe card my brother brought back from the Western Washington State fair in the 1940's--it is just like yours. They are indeed delicious! We were privileged to have my mother live with us for many years and my 48 year old son was reminiscing about the wonderful scones Grandma used to make. Nice to see that some good things don't change.

    ReplyDelete